Remember when we used to actually go shopping? Trips round the shops are now a thing of the past thanks to online retailers such as ASOS.
While it’s now much easier to get our retail therapy, the difficulty is returning our items after trying them on. If they don’t fit, it can be a minefield working out how to send them back.
ASOS have made the returns process easy and more importantly free, so you never need to spend on postage.
But how do send things back and what can you return to ASOS?
I’m a seasoned shopper at the retailer, so I’m sharing everything I’ve learnt over the past decade shopping with them.
Wear Next may receive a small commission if you click a link from one of our articles onto a retail website and make a purchase.
How to return something to ASOS
Not a fan of your purchase? Fear not. You have 28 days to return an order from the day it arrived at your door (or location you had it sent to).
You no longer receive an order receipt in your ASOS package, so everything is done digitally instead.
Head to My Account on ASOS’ website and click ‘create return’. You’ll then need to fill in the form, noting down which items you’re returning and the reasons why.
You’ll also be required to choose a method of return. ASOS uses nearly all major postage services, including Evri (formerly known as Hermes), Royal Mail and Collect+, so you’re not short of choice.
Once you’ve chosen your method, click ‘place return’. Then you’ll need to package up your order in one package; if it doesn’t fit in one, you’ll need to create more than one return in this area of the website.
If you only realise this after you’ve placed a return, you’ll need to contact customer services to ask them to rearrange your return delivery.
You’ll be sent a QR code, which you’ll need to post your order back to ASOS. This will need to be shown at the Post Office or drop off point. It’s valid for 30 days.
Once your order has been dropped off, you’re done! You should receive your refund within 10 days of returning it.
ASOS has recently started doing shipping orders in two parts, as these are coming from two different locations. However if you’re returning an order that has come from both of these locations, the return process is the same.
Can I return an item to ASOS without a tag?
Make sure the tag stays on the item if you can, but it’s not the end of the world if it comes off.
However I’ve also noticed more recently that ASOS has started using tags which specifically say they can’t be removed and then the item returned, so be particularly careful with these if you want a full refund.
Where can I drop off ASOS returns?
You can return your ASOS order to your local ASDA store, the post office, Evri pick-up locations, Collect+ stores and inPost lockers. For more information and to search for your nearest drop off location, visit ASOS.
How long do I have to return something to ASOS?
You have 28 days to return an order from the day it arrived at your door (or the location you had it sent to) to receive a full refund.
If you try to return an item to the brand after this period, it will be sent back to you and you’ll be asked to cover delivery costs.
Does ASOS offer free returns?
Yes – all of the return methods mentioned above are absolutely free.
Can you return ASOS sale items?
Some sale items are elegible for return and while there are other items you can’t return. Items marked as final sale are not returnable, exchangeable, or refundable. The items marked final sale will be visible when you check out.
Where do their returns go?
With more people being aware about the impact of our shopping habits on the enviornment, more brands are transparent about their return processes. ASOS shared on their Instagram that they have a zero landfill policy and shared that 97% of their returns go on to be resold. Then the remaining 3% is sent to brand partners to be recycled or reused.
What can I return to ASOS?
Good question! ASOS offers the following advice on products that can’t be returned:
- Face + Body products if opened, used or protective seal is not intact
- Underwear if the hygiene seal is not intact or any labels have been broken
- Swimwear if the hygiene seal is not intact or any labels have been broken
- Pierced jewellery if the seal has been tampered with or is broken
- Face coverings if the seal has been tampered with or is broken.
Everything else can be returned.